You may need to add tables on your website to make it easier for visitors to read important information. However, how to create a table in WordPress?
WordPress does provide a table feature in the Gutenberg editor. However, these features are very limited, so you can’t customize much. For example, setting the table size, adding images, and more.
Well, in this article, we will explain how to create a table in WordPress with several options, namely using a plugin and without a plugin. We will also provide recommendations for table plugins that you can try. Come on, read this article to the end, OK!
How to Create a Table in WordPress
Here’s how to create a table in WordPress using the TablePress plugin. You can create tables in WordPress using TablePress in two ways, namely manually and import tables . For more details, see the following explanation.
Manually Entering Table Data
1. The first step is to install the TablePress plugin by clicking the Plugins menu > Add New. Then search for the plugin via the search field.
Next, click Install Now > Activate to activate the plugin.
2. Once the plugin is active, you can start creating tables. Select the TablePress menu > Add New Table on the dashboard.
3. Enter data such as table name, description, and number of rows and columns. When finished, click Add table as shown below.
4. After that, enter the data you want to display into the table in the Table Content column .
5. Still on the same page, you can also modify the table display settings in the Table Manipulation column . Some things you can customize, for example, include links, images, add columns, add rows, and more.
6. If the settings have been completed, save the data by clicking the Save Changes button . You can also see how it looks first by clicking the Preview button .
7. When you have finished creating the table, insert the table into your post. There are two ways you can do it. First, put the shortcode contained in the Information Table.
8. Copy the shortcode and paste it in your new post.
9. The second way , insert a table using the Insert Table from TablePress menu in the WordPress editor.
10. The following is a table view after the post is published.
Entering Data with the Import Table Feature
The TablePress plugin also provides a feature to import files in CSV, HTML, JSON, XLS, and XLSX formats . So, if you already have a data file with that format, you don’t have to bother entering data one by one. Just use the following import table feature.
- Klik menu TablePress > Import a Table.
2. Select the file you want to import by pressing the Choose File button . Select the format you want, then click the Import button .
3. If you successfully import the file, all you have to do is customize the table that contains the data from the imported file.
4. If it has been customized, you can copy the shortcode to be installed in the post
5. Then, paste it in your post.
6. Alternatively, click the Insert Table from TablePress menu in the WordPress editor. After that click Publish .
7. After publishing, the result will be the same as adding data manually.
8. If you want to get the table file, you can export the table to the file format you want. To do this, click the TablePress menu > Export a Table.
Next, just select the table and format you want, then click the Download Export File button .
How to Create a Table Using HTML in WordPress
That was how to easily create tables in WordPress using a plugin. Even so, customization of the appearance and color of the table is still very limited. As a workaround, you can create your own table using HTML code .
To use this step, at least you have learned HTML and understand the concept for creating a website.
Well, to create an HTML table, you need to know in advance the tags to create an HTML table as follows:
- <table> – marks a table
- <thead> – marks the head of a table
- <tbody> – marks the body of a table
- <tr> – to insert a line
- <td> – to insert cells in a row
- <th> – to indicate a header or title cell
Now let’s try how to create a table in WordPress without a plugin. You can code it using online tools like Tryit Editor W3School . Then create code like this:
With this code, you can create an HTML table like the following:
Now consider how to color the following cells and rows. You will use the bgcolor attribute placed in the opening <tr> or <td> tags .
Using the bgcolor attribute in the <tr> tag, the specified color will be applied to all cells in a row. Meanwhile, the bgcolor attribute in the <td> tag will only affect one cell. Consider the example below:
Here’s the result:
Those were some ways to create tables using HTML in a nutshell. For more details, please visit the following article → How to Easily Create HTML Tables in WordPress .
3 Recommended Table Plugins in WordPress
The following are recommended table plugins other than TablePress as your reference for creating tables in WordPress.
1. Data Tables Generator by Supsystic
The first WordPress table plugin has Data Tables Generator by Supsystic. This plugin is available in free and paid versions. In the free version, you can get the plugin with unlimited row generation, cells, and data formatting.
Meanwhile, with premium features you can get file export services to PDF, Excel, and CSV. You can also create buttons, charts, and sort data.
Well, if you have a team to manage the website, you also manage who can edit the tables.
2. Ninja Tables
Another plugin for creating tables in WordPress that you can use is Ninja Tables. This plugin is claimed to be the most responsive table plugin. So, website visitors from mobile devices can still see the table properly.
Ninja Tables has also been linked directly to Google Sheets so you can import data more easily. In addition, for those of you who have an online store website, Ninja Tables has also been integrated with WooCommerce . So, the table needs for your online store are easier to fulfill.
Price: $49.50 – $249.50
3. League Table
This table plugin does not provide a free version, but the price offered by this plugin is very affordable. Only 23 dollars.
The League Table plugin provides 135 customization options, including which you can sort data, add colors, merge, and more. You can also import and export data easily.
Most importantly, this plugin can display responsive tables. So that visitors who access the website via mobile devices can still see the table data in its entirety.
Create Tables in WordPress Easier, Now!
Creating tables in WordPress is not as difficult as you might think! You can use the table plugin that has been provided to make it easier.
Just install the table plugin of your choice, enter the table data, install it in your post. If you don’t want to bother entering data one by one, you can also import the data that you have created in a separate file.
If you want more freedom to customize your table with a specific color or size, you can also create a table with HTML. This method is more complicated than using a plugin, but there’s nothing wrong with trying to generate the table you want.
The table feature is indeed one of the important features on websites, especially online store websites.